Crochet Crowns, Two Free Patterns

crochetcrownstitle

crochetcrowns1

I recently designed a couple little crochet crowns for my friends’ baby, and I thought I’d share the patterns here for you. These are a great project for a beginner crocheter looking to stretch their skills, as they let you play around with a couple stitch patterns and possibly learn some new techniques, and also an easy but satisfying project for more experienced crocheters.

Notes:

While the starting foundation chain counts given are for (and crowns pictured are in) a small adult size, you can adjust the crown size by adding or subtracting pattern repeats. Starting chain count suggestions are given at the beginning of each pattern, but you can adjust the size to your personal needs.

Stitches used: foundation single crochet (see stitch tutorial here), slip stitch, single crochet, double crochet, triple crochet, chain

Please do not reproduce or sell these patterns, as they are my property. These crowns have gotten a lot of attention, and I’ve been touched by so many of the stories! If you would like to sell your finished crowns, please ask/let me know first (It’s nice to know that people enjoy the pattern!), and give credit for the design to Waters Wares or me, Mindy Waters, that is all I ask. Thanks a bunch! And feel free to make and gift as many as you like!

Hook Size: F/5 – 3.75mmish
Yarn: Medium weight, No. 4

crochetcrowns2
Circlet

Estimated starting chain counts – Baby: 50 stitches, Toddler/Child: 60 stitches, Adult: 70/80 stitches

Row 1: FSC 70 stitches, join with sl st into 1st ch
Row 2: working into ch spaces of FSC, 1 sc in each stitch around, join with sl st into first sc
Row 3: working into back loops only, *skip 2 stitches, then work 3 dc, 1 trc, 3 dc into same stitch, skip 2 stitches, 1 sc in next 5 stitches* repeat around. Join into first dc
Row 4: working into back loops only, *1 sc in each dc, sc into top of trc, ch 3, sl st into front loop of sc just worked, 1 sc in each dc, 1 sc in next 2 stitches, 1 sc in next stitch, ch 3, sl st into sc just worked, 1 sc in next 2 stitches repeat around. Join into first sc. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Starch if desired.

crochetcrowns3

Crown

Row 1: FSC 70 stitches, join with sl st into first ch
Row 3: working into back loops only, *skip 2 stitches, then work 3 dc, 1 trc, 1 ch, 1 trc, 3 dc into same stitch, skip 2 stitches, sl st into next stitch, skip 1 stitch, then work 2 dc, 1 trc, 2 dc into same stitch, skip 1 stitch, sl st into next stitch* repeat around. Join into first dc.
Row 4: ch 3, *work 3 dc, 1 trc, 3 dc, into ch space of 1st point, 1 trc into sl st space of previous row, ch 2, 1 sc into top of trc of point below, ch 2, trc into sl st space of previous row* repeat around. Join into third ch of starting ch 3.
Row 5: working into back loops only, *1 sl st in each dc, ch 3, sl st into trc, ch 5, sl st into same trc, ch 3, 1 sl st in each dc, 1 sl st in trc, 1 sl st in each ch, sl st into sc, ch 3, sl st into same sc, 1 sl st in each ch, 1 sl st in trc* repeat around. Join into first sl st. Fasten off and weave in ends.

Starch if desired.

If you get confused at any point with either pattern, just comment below or message me, and I’ll do my best to help you out!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

50 thoughts on “Crochet Crowns, Two Free Patterns

1. Jeann9ne

What does single crochet in the chain space of foundation single crochet mean? Where is the chain space of a foundation single crochet? It doesn’t make sense to me…

Thank you!

1. Mindy Post author

When you look at a row of foundation single crochet, you’ll see that on one side, stitches have the “v” shape, or two “loops,” so to speak, and on the other side each stitch just has a single loop. The side with the single loops is the chain side, as it mimics a regular crochet chain, and that’s the side you will work the next row of single crochets into.

Hopefully that makes sense; if it doesn’t I can try to explain again! Sorry if it’s a little confusing!

2. Kim Wright

I love this pattern!! Very easy to read, and it turned out beautifully! Thank you for sharing this for free! If you designed this, you could sell patterns on etsy if you needed to. You’re very talented.

3. Monica Lopez

I loved this pattern so much!! It’s super easy and the final result is so gorgeous!

A friend asked me if i could do one for her daughter so i wanted to ask first and to know if there’s no problem if i place this link in one of the pictures i want to take of this finished crown :)

Have a great day!

2. Lisa

Thank you so much for sharing these patterns – and for free! I’m going to be making 2 of these crowns for a friend’s 2 granddaughters. This is a family who has recently lost their 7-month-old son, and any loving thing I can do for them is so appreciated. Just wanted to let you know what a blessing you’ve given to me and them.

3. Ophelia Moon

I’ve just made a crown for my 4 year old sister and shared on my artist page on Facebook, Ophelia Moon, and also tagged you (waterswears) on instagram. My sister loves it and is skipping round demanding to be called Fairy Queen Florence! She’s ridiculously happy! Thank you.

1. Mindy Post author

I’m just now seeing this message! That’s awesome, she sounds adorable and I’m glad she likes it!! :D I think I missed it on Instagram because my ig name is waters_wears, not waterswears.

4. Norma M. Storms

Hi Mindy,
    I am a novice in crochet- How do you make a foundation single crochet stitch?
    You then put (great tutorial from Moogly) should I google Moogly?
    I love your crowns as I am on the Miss Florida Scholarship Pageant BOD.
    thanks for your assistance

1. Mindy Post author

Hello! If you hover your mouse over the words “great tutorial from Moogly” and click, it should take you to the tutorial. If that doesn’t work you can search Moogly foundation single crochet and you should be able to find her tutorial. Hopefully that helps, I’m glad you like the crowns!

5. Helen

Hi Mindy, I just love the crown patterns, have made a couple today for gifts. I am developing a website where I sell handmade goods and all profit is given to charity and causes. I would love to be able to feature them as one of our items with credit going to you for the design. Would you consider this please? Kind regards Helen

6. mary thompson

i would love to make this for my new grand baby but i haven’t kept up with the times, i am confused on what FSC stands for, could you help me out please and thank you so much……..
    mary

1. Mindy Post author

FSC stands for Foundation Single Crochet. There is a link to the tutorial in the post above (just click where it says “great tutorial from Moogly here”). A row of Foundation Single Crochet basically takes the place of a starting chain and the first row of single crochet. Hopefully this helps!

7. Pingback: Princess (or Prince) Crown Hat | Five Monkeys Menagerie

8. bonnie

Making this for my 5 year old great grandson. Almost finished but itwill not stand up. I used the worsted 4 yarn and a f hook,. Dont know what to do. My grandson tells me if you make this crown for me you will have to bow to me. Lol
    looks great but lays flat
    please help

1. Mindy Post author

You can starch it and place it around a bowl as it dries to so that it will be stiff and stand up on it’s own. Hope that helps!! Lol, he sounds like a jokester.

9. Terra

I’m having trouble with slip stitching the fsc to start. Every time I do it it twists. I’m not sure what I’m doing wrong.

1. Mindy Post author

I’m sorry you’re having trouble! It will be hard for me to help without seeing it. I sometimes run my fingers along the FSC chain before slip stitching to make sure there are no twists. I don’t know if that would help.

10. Lan

Hi Mindy, I just wanted to say thanks so much, it’s very generous of you to share your pattern for free. I’m just done making it for my 12 week old baby girl and it is adorable! Great pattern and easy to read even fit a novice like me :)

1. Mindy Post author

I am actually planning to purchase a better tripod in the (hopefully) near future so I can make more tutorials and maybe some videos, so maybe someday!

11. vibiana

I have not made one yet but my intention is to make them for some of the kids recieving chemo in my hospital. Would it be ok to make as many as desired by patients?

12. Tifannie

Hi! I love this pattern! I just finished this crown for my 2 year old who thinks she’s a princess! I was wondering too if I could sell this on my Facebook page as long as I give you the pattern credit. Thanks for sharing!

13. Deanna

Hi. I am trying to make the yellow crown. I am on row four. Should there be a chain or two before the first TRC in the slip stitch below?

Thanks
    **Deanna**

14. Elspeth

Hello. Thank you for the wonderful patterns. I work with a little girl recovering from brain cancer. This was the perfect gift.

1. Mindy Post author

It stands for Foundation Single Crochet. There is a link to a tutorial for the stitch at the top of the post, in the notes section. :)

15. Sandra

I would like to make these crowns for Operation Christmas Child boxes and want to know if you have any suggestions for adding stones for a little sparkle or have you seen yarn that sparkles?

1. Mindy Post author

I have not personally tried adding stones or beads but I’ve seen a few people who have. I would imagine sewing them on would work, you’d just want to make sure they were very secure. You could possibly use beads for sparkle using one of the methods demonstrated in this video I found -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RPGbi7F1Ts . I think sparkling yarn would be a great idea. I don’t have a particular brand to suggest, but I bet any worsted weight yarn would work. :)

16. Alison

Money,

I think these crowns are beautiful and would like to make some for an up coming Christmas market to sell. Would this be ok?

17. Kay

I have crochet for years but never learned how to read a pattern. So I don’t understand the codes you use. But it is a wonderful idea and will do the best I can to wing it. The pictures give me a good ideas. thanks for sharing….it is so cute.

18. Betsey Trueblood

These are lovely. I find myself making a bunch of them up. I’m getting offers and encouragement to sell some of them for Christmas gifts and baby showers. I’d love to credit your pattern on my tags with your permission.