Tag Archives: crochet crop top

Project Notes: Shell Stitch Cropped Top With Embroidered Details

I started making this top MONTHS ago. I don’t usually have a project that I’ll work on in little bits here and there, either between more prominent projects or when I need a break from those projects, but that’s what this top started out as. In the last few months, I started to get more excited about this top for a few reasons – I was really excited about the simple shape, and I had decided to add embroidered details – and I worked fervently to finish it.

The top is worked in two pieces, front and back. Most of the embroidery was done before the front and back were seamed together. Shoulders and sides were then seamed, right sides facing, in single crochet. Once seamed, I turned the top right side out and added some simple single crochet stitching to the armholes, neckline, and bottom hem to finish and round out the edges.

Working in small amounts on the front piece over several months meant that I didn’t see the piece work up as fast as usual, so the front wound up being much too wide. Instead of frogging and redoing the whole thing, I simply made note of the adjusted measurements on my pattern draft to correct it for future makes, and made the back piece much smaller to account for the front piece being too big. This meant the seam would be further back on each side instead of directly under the arms, but given the color, texture, and simple design of the top, I wasn’t too worried about this.

I have been experimenting with different types of embroidery on different crochet stitches lately, and at some point, decided I wanted to add a little embroidery to this top. You can see that the stems and shoots are made with simple long stitches, as that worked best over the shell stitching. Crochet always has at least a little stretch, and this garment has a good bit because of not only the shell stitches, but the yarn itself, which is an acrylic/nylon blend. I tried to stay aware of this while embroidering and kept a looser tension for the stems and shoots than I would have if working into regular fabric. The leaves are single chain stitches with a bit of fill, and the small buds are French knots. All was done using DMC cotton embroidery thread.

The majority of the embroidery was done before the front and back were joined together, since it was easier to weave the back ends in as I went. After trying on the top once it was seamed together, I went and filled out the embroidery where I felt the top needed it. Although I’m still not 100% about it and feel like maybe I could have done better/added a bit more. Though now I know how the top looks when worn, I could maybe figure out better placing and amount of the embroidery if I do something similar in the future.

I love how these green and blue shades pop a bit from, yet compliment the grey.

In the above picture, you can see how the side seam is further back than normal. Also, this is a bit nitpicky, but as the designer critiquing a first draft, I’d rather the back neckline for this piece be a bit higher and flatter than this. But again, it’s not a big deal, and looks okay.

I finished this piece just as the weather was warming up around here, and the material is just too hot to wear right now, but I’m excited to wear it next fall/winter.

For some behind-the-scenes and in-progress shots, go peruse my instagram: @waterswares

The Millicent Cropped Pullover Pattern

millcentcroppedpullovertitle

I’m so excited that this pattern is finally available in my shop, here!

millicentcroppedpullover4

millicentcroppedpullover5

It took me longer (much longer) than I’d planned to get this pattern ready and out, due to rereads, checking for clarity, and getting shots of it being worn, but yay, it’s done!

millicentcroppedpullover2

millicentcroppedpullover3

As you can see, the pattern features two versions of the top, one with a button lapel, and one without. You can also choose to roll or cuff the sleeves, or leave them uncuffed.

Hope you all enjoy! Please let me know if you decide to make this top, by either commenting here or tagging #waterswaresmillicent on Instagram!

Yarn Storage and Pattern Tests

crop top yarn storage 2

For YEARS I’ve wanted glass front storage for my yarn, so that I can see all the colors but it’s all protected from the cats, mice (I lived in front of a cow pasture growing up so mice and rats were common, and one day I had an unfortunate, stressful event involving two adorable little mice and my entire yarn stash, not cool), and anything else. A few weeks ago I got this cabinet from my Nana just for that purpose and man, does it make such a difference! I love being able to see all my yarn, it helps me see types and colors I had forgotten about or not been so inclined to use, and to know what I’m running low on or out of so that I can be more efficient when I buy new yarn.

crop top yarn storage

After a few weeks of struggle with patterns failing and just not working, I was reminded of one of my favorite yarn/stitch/hook size combinations and utilized it in a new way in a fringe crop top and this experiment above. I wanted to try changing hook sizes to create a waist, and while this top turned out okay, I think the method would work better for what I want using smaller hooks than what I used (or maybe increasing the width of the waist, since what really bothers me is how the stitches stretch out when the top is worn, and I’d like a more solid look), although I do like the colors in this top and the general idea. I’m not sure I’ll make more exactly like this one, though.

crop top yarn storage 3

The cabinet has also become Phoe-bug’s favorite new nap spot for now. She’s even up there sleeping at this moment.

Anyway, hope you’re having a good week. God bless ya’!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...